Thursday, March 1, 2012

More to love/not love

Greetings from cold and snowy Berlin


I would like to add to the like/don't like list:

Since I've been here I've noticed this smell of smoke in the air. I thought it was just because everyone here smoked (ew) but there's more too it than that. Tuns out, a lot of places are still heated with individual coal burning furriness in each room. So that means every morning, you clean out the ashes, load it up with coal and firewood and light your heater. I love it! If it was good enough for Mozart, it's good enough for me! 



As of this moment, the novelty hasn't worn off. I am sure I'll live to regret it, but I think it's kinda cute to have my very one carbon monoxide emitting lung cancer machine right next to my bed! 

Things I DO NOT like...no dryers. I know, it's better to line dry your clothes, but when its 32 degrees outside, nothing's ever really dry, and always a little crispy. At first I thought I'd done something wrong.... but both times I've done laundry has been under the supervision of a local host, still, crispy clothes. I miss the fluffiness you get from popping towels in the dryer on a cold day. Sigh

I've also been having strange cavings for american things I took for granted like: Cheerios, Steel cut Oats & peanut butter. Yes, there is peanut butter here....but it's just not the same, AND it's supper expensive? What do kids eat for lunch if they're not eating PB&J? Nutella? I might have to go on a Cheerios hunt...I've heard of a few stores with "American" sections.

bis später!

2 comments:

  1. From what I hear, kids in Europe eat real, actual food for school lunch! I grew up on PB&J on white bread (every day!) but these days it seems like there's a kid in every class with a severe peanut allergy. If the peanut butter in Germany is "natural" (i.e. not pumped up with hydrogenated oil, salt, and sugar) I'd say it's worth the extra cost. That's what I've been buying for years and no desire to go back to Skippy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird. I actually prefer the natural stuff, but all I could find was some import that's 90% peanuts, Hydrogenated vegetable oil & salt. So much for all natural! That, and it was EXPENSIVE!

      Delete