Saturday, February 4, 2012

Shoes!

I’ve landed safe and sound. I didn’t really get much sleep on the plane, DESPITE being in business class (winning!) So far, traveling in February is awesome. No lines, and lots of discounts. If only it wasn't so cold that my ears felt like falling off!


I can’t believe I’m really in Germany!

My German seems to be ok, especially easy, baby things like ordering a coffee or asking directions. But when it gets more complicated or colorful.....I get a little lost. Or even if I think I understand it, part of my brain says “that can’t be right...”  Like when my host asked me what time I would like breakfast; there is usually a buffet, but since there are only two guests it will be more al a cart. I got that right (he later repeated himself in English) but at the time I just thought “that can’t be right” and gave him a blank stare instead. It’s a nice, clean, cheap hotel in part of an old building. And since most of Europe is experiencing a cold snap, I ended up sleeping in my UK fleece (sorry Tina, Becca et al).


Why do I always come to Europe during an extreme weather event? I was here for the Italian Heat wave of 2003 and, lucky me, I am here during a record breaking cold snap! My dad felt it necessary to let me know that the weather is so extreme that people are dying.  Thanks Dad. Do you think anyone will notice if I wear the same sweater-dress every day until it warms up? I defiantly did not pack warm enough. I brought one pair of long underwear and it is NOT enough. As soon as I get settled somewhere, that’s my next plan- buy warmer clothes


I think the owner of the hotel is insulted that I’m only staying one day.  I feel a little bad since, I’m really just here to audition. He directed me to the Fat Hostess for a good German meal. I gotta admit, it wasn’t nearly as bad as it looked!


I’ve already had my first audition. Finding the building was fine (it was at the Deutsche Oper) but finding the room in the massive Deutsche Oper complex was another matter! Luckily, I ran into the Intendant of my audition outside on a smoke break who guided my butt like a blind woman to where I needed to be (more on that audition in the next post).


Shoes! I mean Tschüs! Tschüs is a friendly way of saying bye, but it sounds like shoes to me, so every time I hear someone say “bye” it sounds to me like they’re saying “Shoes!” Reminds me of a certain viral video of the same name. Shoes.


Next stop, Vienna! 

2 comments:

  1. Incredible! So happy you are blogging about this-enjoy your time there! Lots of love from the states! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So for a while I was thinking "Why would Tina and Becca mind that you're wearing a British fleece...?" Happy for an update - lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete